Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Exercise Post. Week Two:

PEANUT BY PEANUT

As meager as it sounds, maybe 250 words a day is a little unrealistic. In reality, two hundred and fifty words is less than half a page. When I open a blank word document the words should come tumbling out like kernels from a dropped box of theater popcorn. Instead, it's like shaking free sticky globs of Cracker Jack; sometimes I have to jam my finger into the little cardboard hole and rub it raw as I try to hook a sweet peanut. Sometimes pulling metaphors is worse than that terribly overused simile pulling teeth.

I am detail oriented. Blame it on a mother whose towel folds were as crisply specific as origami. Furthermore, I loath revision. By the time I get there, I am already sick of the piece. I have already picked piece by piece through my lexicon, written and rewritten each sentence; dug peanut by peanut and kernel by kernel through my Cracker Jack. Friends tell me to just write, don’t worry about the details at first, but I cannot do that any more than I would toss the silverware in the drawer and come back and sort it into its rightful compartments later.

I am currently working on novella. I am attempting to set my stakes higher than a short story, but a novel seems a little too optimistic --especially since after five months I can chalk my page count up to ten. I guess this is why so many writers keep blogs in which they lament their masochistic undertaking. Sometimes, I wish I could pull myself out of the creative pool, these waters surely produce some festering mutation of the psyche. And regardless of how stagnant it has become, I can’t seem to evolve the necessary apparatus to push myself from its murky hold and become onE of those fabled creatures don’t gasp and thrash without it.

And so I guess I will keep rattling the box. Hopefully, realistically, the edges should soften, my finger callus, and those sweet cognitive clusters pour a little freer. That is, until I can pull myself out of this mess.

2 comments:

  1. If you want some prep time, I would love to feature you as a guest blogger on my blog. How does the 4th of July sound for a deadline? 500-800 words on the writing life or some aspect of writing or a piece of personal work? Heck, write about the gnome women blocking your view of fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have given up on the idea of just writing to get it down on the page. I write and revise through something until its complete...usually absorbing multiple hours of my day or night on re-organizing the same sentence several different ways. But poetry is short enough to get away with this habit. I'm sure you'll work out a method for your novella, there is no right or wrong way to do it.

    ReplyDelete